White Mountain Football

whitemountainfootball.com and smackzone123.com

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: MLB
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:36 pm 

So how much pressure did the Phillies place upon themselves with the aquisition of Cliff Lee? They have assembled one of the top pitching rotations in MLB history with Roy Halladay, Cliff Lee, Cole Hamels, Roy Oswalt and Joe Blanton. They will struggle offensively though; no offensive production/threats coming from the C, OF or 3B positions, as Rollins and Utley haven't stayed healthy for an entire season the past couple years. Defensively they're a pretty old team by MLB standards, but the pitching staff has a combined 2.48 ERA. Still, regardless of the offensive struggles they'll suffer this season, anything short of a World Series appearance will be one of the biggest chokes in MLB history.

Roy Oswalt pitching out of the 4th spot is my pre-season selection for the NL Cy Young award. He's one hell of a pitcher in the 4th spot, and could be the Ace on more than half the teams in both leagues. He'll simply overwhelm the opposing team's 3rd, 4th and 5th pitchers. My beloved NY Mets are in for a very long season!

Post subject: Re: MLB
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:05 pm 

Well said Spank. I was sitting on the couch one day and flipped on the TV and Cliff Lee was signed! Crazy how fast and under the radar the signing was, i had absolutely no clue they were even pursuing him. I like what i saw from the young outfielder in Domonic Brown, the kid can play defense, and hopefully his offense will come around. They have to be a world series favorite for most!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:27 pm 

That is why they play the games, my friend. Miami was suppossed to dominate the NBA this season and look at them. No doubt the best pitching staff on papaer. A few mistakes at the disk though can put your team in the hole real quick.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:06 pm 

That's the thing about baseball though...a 162 game schedule offsets a few mistakes made during the season. Pitching typically wins championships, and although I can't stand the Phillies, this is perhaps THE greatest starting pitching lineup ever assembled and it'll be interesting to watch how they do.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:45 am 

it was amazing cause the MLB has a fasfter process to get signed within weeks.reffering to cliff lee as an example.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:46 pm 

It's tough being a Mets fan. I have to watch the Phillies trade for Halladay and Oswalt and then sign Lee, while the hubbub in Mets camp is they're thinking of getting the Brewers David Bush. :(