White Mountain Football

whitemountainfootball.com and smackzone123.com

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Smackboard Announcements
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:56 pm 

Everyone,

Floyd Simmons really wants to get away from having anything to do with the smackboard. He and I partnered to resurrect the site from the fiasco that happened when Cell One ended their relationship with whitemountainfootball.com and it made sense at the time for us to work together. Floyd and I have had and do have a great relationship, but this site is more trouble than it is worth in many ways. We owe him a huge debt of gratitude for helping keep the site going, but ultimately he just does not have the ties to the site that he wants to keep having his name associated with it.

If you see Floyd or know him, please thank him for all he does to promote HS football. That is what this site is *SUPPOSED* to be about, but in reality, the site is more of a community gathering place for Internet nerds to talk trash to each other about football and various other things. I am part of the community and am therefore attached to all you morons, bums, and losers. You are my kinda people. I understand our community, but it is difficult for an outsider to understand the purpose of the site and we can't change the site without losing what makes it what it is to us. As much as I respect the purpose of the Wickenburg Sun forums, there is no community there, hence why no one goes there.

I have asked KentAdams, spanky, RanchandKC, and AJ to help me figure out what is next because I want the site to GET BETTER and right now, we are starting to get some momentum back. Me and Spanky hung out in front of the Circle K in Pinetop to discuss things then went home and watched Varsity Blues on his new 70" flatscreen.

We have seven or eight months to prepare for next football season and this post is a chance for you to add what we can do to make the site better. I want it to be more like Reddit.com personally and honestly, reddit and deadspin are my two favorite sites on the internet right now. Please let me know what we can add, what we can do, and how we can build our community.

Chicks dig me because I rarely wear underwear... and when I do, it's usually something unusual. But now I know why I have always lost women to guys like you. It's not just the uniform. It's the stories that you tell. So much fun and imagination.

Last edited by Bill Lundbergh on Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:10 pm 

My first thought is to get exposure. Cellone was a great tool for the old board and I still see people who have no idea the smackboard exists. Partner with 101.7 or whatever that student-run online channel is. If not them then with 95.7, their site sucks right now when it comes to football. Get exposure/Get partners and this site will return to its glory.

Cougars like to prey on deer, though they also eat smaller animals such as coyotes, porcupines, and raccoons. These cats employ a blend of stealth and power. Then they kill by going for the back of the neck with a fatal bite.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:42 pm 

As I mentioned in another thread, it would be nice having a "Stat Zone" section for those who don't want to waste time reading smack but like to discuss football. It could also attract some exposure from sports writers and get more hits that way.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:53 am 

Would agree with you C J. A separate format would make for more interesting reading. I've been around for a few years, but I never stop learning from the wisdom of others more and less knowledgeable about any particular topic. My hopes are that your suggestion will merit consideration. It would be refreshing, indeed.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:06 pm 

Maybe try to get some local business's to sponsor it. even before i was a member the smack board was a part of football season to me.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:18 pm 

As much as I love the Smack here, Most of the Fans that I have spoken with love the Site, but won't participate due to all the Smack that goes on here.

Maybe a "Smack Free Zone" but now I feel your back to the Sun Forum of stats but no community or Max Preps if all you want are stats.

Sponsorship is a way to generate revenue,(Which I'm sure you Need) but then you have "a Big Bother" looking over your shoulder telling you what is acceptable.

I, for one, have never look at this as an Information Site, But one more of Gossip & Rumor Control & Gossip. I enjoy the few minutes a day I spend here reading and Posting Trash Talk. I hope that the current format stays as it Is and In Time, As the word spreads, I believe you will see an increase in the sort of Low-life, Toothless, Football Crazies your hoping to attract

Oh yea, almost forgot, Gobi-PLEASE, Never mention to Bill about Exposing Himself...

River Valley Dust Devils. 2014 Div.IV State Champions

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:48 pm 

I would like to see a place to discuss football without so much of the free license given to what the smack here has become. Language control is something I miss from the previous setup. In my opinion, much of it has gotten out of hand.

I'd be interested in running a contest as I did in the past, finding my own sponsor to furnish prizes (of course with the permission of the site).

I keep a rather detailed and complete database of scores and standings that I could maintain for posting on the site in a more user friendly, accessible motif.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:42 am 

I think a date with SLMom would be an appropriate prize for the picks contest.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:03 pm 

Here is the problem with policing language--it requires an active admin. And you are dead on about sponsors--who wants to sponsor a site where it is basically a bunch of grown men trash talking each other with some football mixed in.

So some of us want the Wickenburg Sun site, but no one realizes there are alternative sites out there that provide exactly that. Others want the Wickenburg Sun type rules on decorum, but with our same community feel. Those two are pretty mutually exclusive.

On the previous site, we spent a lot more time policing the site and warning people and occasionally editing or deleting posts. I just don't have the time and there is no incentive for me to be on the site doing it. We have arbitrary rules of what smack is tolerated and what isn't. By and large we are not trash talking kids, just picking on each other and I don't have an issue with that. And I guess picking on coaches that love Flat Screens.

We still have the ability to report offensive posts but no one ever uses it. At least that way, I can go and say, yeah this crossed the line. Either we rarely cross the line or the line has slowly shifted.

Chicks dig me because I rarely wear underwear... and when I do, it's usually something unusual. But now I know why I have always lost women to guys like you. It's not just the uniform. It's the stories that you tell. So much fun and imagination.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:35 pm 

I like the site pretty much the way it is. If there happens to be a thread that descends into the realm of pointless drivel I usually stop checking it for new posts. I've been around here for a long time, and the site has been up and down over the years. Things seem to be on the upswing after this past season, and I love the diversity with a few others from around the state stepping up and posting their thoughts on their team as well as others around the state.

Looking back, I think most of the major scandals we've run in to on this site have been the result of transfers to BR and their willingness to take in the occasional homeless, better than average player under questionable circumstances. Rumors swirled, but the teams played on, the posters continued to post, and the site has been able to weather all of it.

I hope that it continues on basically as is allowing each of us to patronize it for whatever inane and insane reasons we tend to do so. Those seeking pure football knowledge can glean it if they put in the time. Those who exist here only to smack and be smacked can continue to do so. But most importantly, people like me can share our wealth of pure knowledge all who are brave enough to join in.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:45 pm 

Bill you are right. We won't get a sponsor if we stick to this format which is fine with me as well. But if we want to grow and you not police have you considered having the school's (BR,SF,SL and even those guys in River Valley) Graphic Design/Web Page Development clubs help.

This will get us more teenagers/Players because they will promote it within the schools and they can police for you. They can flag any abuses and you can approve or edit/delete them. Once a business see's that the kids are working on this project as well they may just sponsor it.

I know plenty of teenagers that read but do not post because they are afraid of being insulted. Teenagers have those self-conscious issues. But every school can run their own area for their school posting news for their fans and stats. Then we can have the general smack area.

Cougars like to prey on deer, though they also eat smaller animals such as coyotes, porcupines, and raccoons. These cats employ a blend of stealth and power. Then they kill by going for the back of the neck with a fatal bite.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:30 am 

Bill...I have absolutely no problem moderating and editting people's posts, inserting key adjectives of the four-letter variety where necessary. After all, who wants a bunch of pompous, goody-two-shoes roaming our threads!

Think about my proposal!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:29 am 

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:12 pm 

I was going to offer my services at a discounted rate...but Spanky says I'm not wanted.

Talk about an ego crush!

But then...Spanks wants a little sugar from me, ER, ah SL Mom...whats a mutha to do???

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:44 pm 

If we don't make sexual innuendo about each other's significant others and/or mothers, the site really loses all of its character. Unfortunately, that is a pretty shady character and you are most certainly right about sponsors. I really don't care about sponsors, we can fund the site with a tip jar aka a paypal button to cover the minor hosting costs. I don't mind footing the bill for that. Floyd has relationships with sponsors in other ventures, so even if they don't sponsor this site, he still has to be conscious of what goes on here. It is a good situation to lift that burden. But we still have to figure out what our ground rules are. And we seem to be pretty solid about them--respect the kids. By and large, the coaches are paid adults and as long as we keep personal attacks out of it, we are pretty good about treating them with respect too. I am pretty OK with that line. And as far as profanity, my censorship line is roughly where South Park and Family Guy are. If it starts with an F or an SH (and definitely a C), it crosses the line.

But I want to grow the community and a big part of that is getting us involved with some of the schools that are not participating or don't know about us. I am still wondering how and what we can do to make it really go. People CARE about what is going on with small school sports and we give people a place to talk about it. That is important to the kids and the schools because it draws interest and attention. We are a valuable resource so long as we have a large enough community of people. We have to figure out how to get more people on board here. Adding Line-6 back is huge. We have a solid, smart West Region guy. We need to get some folks down south.

Maybe the solution is to get local papers to work with us. I don't know. But we are getting some of the momentum back that was lost when that Jackass got the last site shut down (that Jackass is of course me because I stirred the wrong pot.) Now, we collectively own the pot.