White Mountain Football

whitemountainfootball.com and smackzone123.com

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:54 am 

We could get into an interesting discussion on this topic, but they would probably be eventually deleted (and maybe participants banned from this board). After all, it would be competition for attention and potential sponsors. Or ... CJ's idea of making whitemountainfootball.com a separate venue for those of us who prefer to view fact vs. smack might discourage any new sites. However the "whitemountain" name might not encourage others outside the White Mountain area from participating ... as an example, from schools from South, West, Central, Metro or even the North regions.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:47 am 

The name, AZcentral.com, doesn't keep me from checking statewide news.

Tucson.com only focuses on Tucson metro teams but is the best source for S. AZ scores & stories.

Eastvalleytribune.com only focuses on the east valley but has small ball stories I can't find elsewhere.

Even the statewide media knows how popular FB is in the White Mountains.
I think the name would attract more people if they knew it was a serious FB news / discussion site.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:14 am 

I think your all missing something, human nature is to get little jabs in against your opponents. Even the sites you mention there are comments that are smack talk. You can't get rid of it in any forum where there is free speech. I don't go on political sites expecting to find people who agree because I know their opponents are going to comment too. I think creating a section to the board that is for news stats is a fine idea. But like all other sites there will inevitably be some form of smack talk.

Cougars like to prey on deer, though they also eat smaller animals such as coyotes, porcupines, and raccoons. These cats employ a blend of stealth and power. Then they kill by going for the back of the neck with a fatal bite.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:32 pm 

wicksun wrote:
We could get into an interesting discussion on this topic, but they would probably be eventually deleted (and maybe participants banned from this board). After all, it would be competition for attention and potential sponsors.

Aside from my occasional petulant child routine about not wanting competitors posting on this site and using my site to drive traffic to their own (which is a pretty easy to understand impulse), how many times have I banned anyone? And under what circumstances have I deleted comments?

What you do not see is the exact and precise irony of that statement. If you want to change the nature of the board, you have to come up with a comments policy, THEN ENFORCE IT. What that means is going around and deleting peoples' posts because you disagree with the content or do not feel it is appropriate. The board you describe hypothetically (and then say we can't discuss because I might start deleting things and banning it) is PRECISELY a board where I must proactively delete things and ban people.

And you do not see the other behind the scenes issue that I promoted a certain member of our community to be a moderator three years ago and a month and a half ago had to take away his moderator access because he was editing and deleting comments and not telling me about it. Because the site keeps records of when people delete or edit other people's comments:

[person] [IP Address] Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:48 pm Deleted post “Re: Scores 10/7” written by
» Line-6-Dad

[person] [IP Address] Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:50 pm Edited post “Re: Scores 10/7” written by
» Gobiggreen

[person] [IP Address] Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:07 pm Edited post “Re: Scores 9/30” written by
» Gobiggreen

[person] [IP Address] Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:01 pm Edited post “Re: Scores 9/30” written by
» Gobiggreen

Chicks dig me because I rarely wear underwear... and when I do, it's usually something unusual. But now I know why I have always lost women to guys like you. It's not just the uniform. It's the stories that you tell. So much fun and imagination.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:40 pm 

I took away this moderator access when he started deleting and editing people's posts without their permission or knowledge and he didn't tell me about it. So yeah, let's talk about what we want the board to look like. Who do you guys propose should write the comments policy and build said "new board" where the smack talk is gone? What happens when someone starts deleting posts and who is the person that has to police and edit and moderate every single post? Who determines what is smack and what is not?

Do you mean you want ME to do that and moderate the comments? Because I have an abundance of time on my hands to play moderator and get involved in petty crap between the folks on the site. I love having to talk to users about comments that they post that are offensive. I love having conversations that go like this one did TWO DAYS AGO (and I deleted the rest out of respect for the person PMing with me):

Quote:
This exact statement was made on YOUR site in the exact same thread!! Did you threaten Spanky??
Hypocrisy? Bill, exactly how do you pick and choose your moral intervention.

I banned spanky once over crap about Armstrong. You want ME to have to be that sort of admin and moderator. I decline.

Perhaps you should all understand how sick of this conversation I am. Doesn't mean I won't allow it, it means I am sick of spending my time in constant debates over what is appropriate smack talk and I am sick of getting PMs about "delete this comment by so and so" because it is offensive.

Chicks dig me because I rarely wear underwear... and when I do, it's usually something unusual. But now I know why I have always lost women to guys like you. It's not just the uniform. It's the stories that you tell. So much fun and imagination.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:47 pm 

I wrote this back to that moderator two days ago. I ask you to read it and the links and give some consideration to it:

So where do we go from here? I have not heard any constructive criticism about the site. What do you want? More moderation of content? That runs contrary to my philosophical view of what Internet forums are and how they should be run. I am a hardcore Libertarian who believes in a thriving marketplace of ideas (John Stuart Mill.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marketplace_of_ideas

I also believe in the tried and true statement by Justice Louis Brandeis:

Quote:
"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."

"It is the function of speech to free men from the bondage of irrational fears."

The site is run this way because I believe it is a community, which means WE as a community set the standards. You can dislike them all you want, but there comes a point when you realize that maybe, just maybe I have some philosophical reasons why I let most of the crap happen that I do.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:52 pm 

Kind of proud I was edited so much :? ... I'm with you. Unless it's outright attacking someone personally enjoy the smack and if you don't just stay out of it. There are other posters here that don't do any trash talk.

I think for those who have been here for years know this topic is old. Move on like the crybabies that just lost the election need to do. If you don't want trash talk don't engage in it.

Cougars like to prey on deer, though they also eat smaller animals such as coyotes, porcupines, and raccoons. These cats employ a blend of stealth and power. Then they kill by going for the back of the neck with a fatal bite.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:50 pm 

@kevin... I meant I am the petulant child. Because I am.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:38 pm 

Time to fess up. I, Doug Jr, am that certain moderator. I was given the moderator tool to govern the Picks contest when I ran it. At the time I edited (deleted) the posts, it was mostly a lark, but I had that right given me and I deleted them. I deleted them contrary to the owner's desire (and without consulting him first). The result: he appropriately took away my moderator rights and I have no issue with that.

What I do have issue with is the quality of posts on this site: too many trolls spewing too much toxic trash that is solely intended to damage or get a rise out of others. I've not personally felt attacked, at least not in any unrecoverable way, but I've seen way too much of it. There is a certain sector here that feel that they are above board, in my opinion, and they go largely unchecked. Our owner has said he doesn't like to delete. Nor does he have to. It's his site and he can dog-well do as he sees fit.

Bill Lundbergh (JB), I don't dislike you; you can trash that thought. Gee, I don't even know you. I have said and I still believe that this site has degraded much in the last few years. I don't like seeing that. I much preferred it when it was Belshe's site. That's what I said.

Line-6-Dad and Gobiggreen, I am sorry if my deletions of your posts affected you in any egregious way. Gobi, I'm not sorry that I changed your text from baby p00p cougar green to Royal Blue. If either of your feelings were hurt, please accept my apology.

I've talked with a few people offline who are disenchanted with the site content, too. The membership has dropped significantly since the change in ownership. I believe that to be largely over the issue of allowing people just to rant and troll; there is very little constructive discussion any more. These are my opinions and I acknowledge that they are only that: opinions.

If you are offended as you say you are, Mr. Lundbergh, I do not know what to tell you. You, and only you, are the one who controls whether or not to be offended. I have pushed my honest impression and you don't like it. You have an opportunity to do something here to improve the situation, but you've instead chosen to go into a defensive posture. I find it interesting that you have chosen to post what you sent me by PM here now for others to read and give consideration to, but that you chose to only post a portion of it. Seems a bit contrary to your point to me about your libertarian stance. The truth, just not the whole truth. Doesn't jive for me. Out of respect, I leave it to your discretion to clarify if you so choose.

Bottom line of my rant: I like talking Arizona high school football, I like following the White Mountain teams and I'm wholly dedicated to my alma mater. This site provided an opportunity for me to do these things. It does so less now, and there are other sources available that were not in existence when I signed up to this site. I feel less motivated in light of the flavor that now exists.

For the record, the quote, "This exact statement was made on YOUR site in the exact same thread!! Did you threaten Spanky?? ... Hypocrisy? Bill, exactly how do you pick and choose your moral intervention." is not mine. Not that it matters.

And as for the advise I was given by Mr. Lundbergh, "So if you can't quit and you can't run the site yourself, and you disagree with my Libertarian philosophy rooted in Locke, Mill, Brandeis, and Jefferson as espoused at Reason.com and the CATO Institute, start your own site. Or back off.", I choose to back off.

And maybe start up my own site.

And... "peace out"? Who still says that?

Post note: I also sent the following response to BL (JB) via PM:

"Credit on a few things:

I feel the security of your site has definitely improved. You have gone beyond in making sure identities and content are safeguarded. There is very little evidence of spamming or other intrusions.

You do have a moral compass, I have no doubt. I know you have a passion for this site and you express it well.

For the most part, I believe you expect others to be courteous and respectful.

You allow freedom of expression, which is of great value on a social media venue.

I do not believe anyone has died from participating in chat here.

Thanks for the comments back to me."

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:06 pm 

Well, I was sick for a week after the color change and had to take time off work for mental distress but... Oh wait that's the Hillary supporters. I'm over it.. But i did get sick :oops:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:37 am 

Interesting topic. I don't post much anymore as my ties to BR, with no kids there for many years has grown slim, and as we know..BR has not been relevant for a few years.

Having said that, I will confess that at times over the years I may have poked a few folks in the ribs more then I should have, but made an efffort to at least keep it clean and above board without personal attacks. More of a good natured ribbing.

What I've seen in the last several years has been those that not only go right up to the line of good taste, but jumped right over that to questionable taste, then right to filthy, vulgar, and at times uncalled for personal attacks.

I frequent many internet boards and most if not all will not tolerate those type of posts. I think we all know when things have gone over that line of decency and ought not to be tolerated or allowed. I believe even those posting those know when they have crossed the line, but because there has not been a standard adhered too it keeps getting pushed.

I'm not sure I will ever frequent the board as I did 3-5 years ago. Times have changed as well as my circumstances and it's just not the draw it once was. Having some people who can't express themselves except in a way that goes past decency makes me even less apt to visit the site on a regular basis.