White Mountain Football

whitemountainfootball.com and smackzone123.com

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:00 pm 

What offense/style is the best and why?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:56 am 

Short answer: The one that wins games

Long answer: The one that best fits your personnel. Highland probably has a lot of kids out, but the very best of the best are probably going to one of the East Valley powers in your area. You get what's left. My guess for your situation would be some type of power run game with a good play action passing game to go along with it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:01 pm 

The one that works, yes. Not a huge fan of Perry's offense. Yes they move the ball up and down the field, scoring at will with relative ease. No huddle, quick snap, defense scrambling out of position, sure. It might beat some teams okay but it's not the type of offense that wins championships does it?

Answer me this Knowitall, whatever happened to the fullback position? Double tight formations? West Coast offense? (Speaking in general of football Prep, Colligate, and Pro.) I'll give you some examples. Clemson vs Alabama. Sark and kiffin ran a pretty good offense back in the day for Pete Carroll. Fast forward to Alabama's offense the past couple years. Totally different offense from what I saw in LA. Why the change? What was wrong with huddling, using multiple formations with different shifts and motions, packages, a fullback, taking snaps under center etc. Defenses are catered to stop a spread offense, yes? Then why don't these offenses come out with a more traditional way of moving the football?

Sidenote: Did you notice Clemson runs IMO a modern version of the Wing-T? More of a hybrid, but more often than not, they'll motion or shift a back into the backfield, once he's set, they'll motion a slot or Z for a jet sweep, fake a pitch to the RB, and either pass or run the ball with their QB. A lot going on which leads to a lot of watching and not much reacting by the linebackers.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:47 pm 

I've always preferred an offense with a solid ground game; I'm an I-formation guy, but I love variations of the I-formation like the weak/strong split, Power I and the Maryland I. I also like the Winged T. (I ran all of those as an offensive co-coordinator.) If a team has a real bruiser at FB then all of those can be very successful. In this era of high-powered, spread offenses, I just think that a ball control offense can wear out an opposing defense, while keeping those offenses off the field. Obviously, it depends upon the personnel.

I've always loved a play-action to the TE and I love RB's who can catch out of the backfield, especially screens and wheel routes.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:03 am 

You guys all miss the point. Any offense works if you have the jimmies and joes. So to win, you have to attract, retain, or turn out the jimmies and joes in an era of one sport athletes and transfers. At the college level you have to recruit. In the nfl you have to attract free agents.

Our kids today could be described with words that start with b or p. They do not like physical contact. They don't like run blocking. They don't like playing fullback and being tasked with blocking linebackers in the 4 hole. They want to spread defenses out and be a "playmaker." They view a physical game as being outdated. And their parents worry about concussions.

You have to attract athletes, whether at your school or in the general area. Mountain point wins which draws kids. Wick goes 8-3 and suddenly one sport basketball players and baseball players want to play. And both teams win because they do something novel... run the ball and control the tempo. No one else does that anymore. It is hard to defend if you never see it in the same way in the 1980s the spread was hard to defend. Now, you see it so often kids are used to lining up to defend 4 or 5 WR. Try defending the triple option with 3 practices to prepare kids and a dc who has never seen it.

But again, jimmies and joes. You can cover a lot of deficiencies running the ball, but you need kids who can defend, and who can turn a 20 yard run into a 60 yard run. Those kids have to buy in and want to play your brand of football and the parents and fans have to too or else they sit in the stands and b1tch, transfer their kids, or just don't have their kids play.

Lunatics running the asylum.

Chicks dig me because I rarely wear underwear... and when I do, it's usually something unusual. But now I know why I have always lost women to guys like you. It's not just the uniform. It's the stories that you tell. So much fun and imagination.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:13 am 

Now on a more fundamental level for me, I want my spoiled millennial to learn physical toughness, mental toughness, and teamwork. I think the spread offense far too often becomes a game of pitch and catch between a qb and 1-2 good athletes. Defense is trying to double their best kid and a whole lot of one on one tackles. Not that the run game doesn't require one or 2 athletes and you don't have to tackle. Rather, the run game forces kids to use strength and leverage in ways that kids don't like anymore because it is physically demanding and you can't take plays off. The spread game is too much like nba basketball when 3 guys stand around the 3 pt line and two guys run pick and rolls for 48 minutes. Execution means the wr runs the right route, the qb makes and accurate throw, and the wr doesn't drop it. The other 9 guys or at least some portion become little more than decoys or props. Line play means just don't let defenders get a free run at the qb.

Chicks dig me because I rarely wear underwear... and when I do, it's usually something unusual. But now I know why I have always lost women to guys like you. It's not just the uniform. It's the stories that you tell. So much fun and imagination.