White Mountain Football

whitemountainfootball.com and smackzone123.com

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 10:16 pm 

Fountain Hills has decided to stay in the football family, announcing Wednesday the promotion of Jason Henslin as head coach.

Henslin, who graduated from Fountain Hills in 2002, served as an assistant under four different head coaches the past four seasons at Fountain Hills.

He played for Jim Fairfield, who resigned after the 2014 season. Since then, the Falcons have had a string of one-and-done coaches.

"He brings with him a wealth of knowledge about the Fountain Hills football community and an extraordinary passion for our school and the town of Fountain Hills," Athletic Director Mike Briguglio said in a release. "We look forward to supporting his quest to make Falcon football force to be reckoned with."

Henslin replaces John Flynn, who was 3-7 in his only season.

Henslin played on a state championship baseball team at Fountain Hills under Briguglio. He went on to play football at Pima Community College for Jeff Scurran, who has led Tucson Catalina Foothills' program the past four years.

"During my time at Fountain Hills I learned a lot from Coach Fairfield, and then moving on to Pima and playing for one of the most winning coaches (Scurran) in Arizona high school history, I learned even more about how to build a winning program," Henslin said.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:33 am 

Fountain Hills will be in great hands, I know the family, they are outstanding people who care about kids and character building. Nice hire FH!!

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 1:07 pm 

Crunch1, I think Coach Henslin will do a great job and will bring the program back to being competitive once again. 1-9 and 3-7 seasons are difficult for anyone to handle.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 4:20 pm 

It's Fountain Hills...it wouldn't matter if Vince Lombardi coached them. The reality is a 4 win season will long be considered a "successful" season at that school.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:56 pm 

I second that statement Crunchy. Coach Henslin comes from a top quality family. He will instill great values in a program that's hungry for success. Make no mistake, the Henslin family is as competitive as they come! They will knock you in the mouth but have the class to extend a hand to help you up, just to punch you in the mouth (legally) again. Great hire FH! Good luck coach Henslin! Expect great things sportsdad.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 11:23 pm 

Interesting comment Spanky. Recent years have been rough, but the goal is to get back to being competitive again. 4 wins being called successful is a joke and you know that. It might be 4-5 wins this season, then 6, 7, 8 and more in successive seasons. Give the new coach a chance to turn things around. Give it a couple years and we will talk again. Go Falcons.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 1:15 pm 

Took seven years to recover from Vaughan leaving. FH has taken several large steps backwards. Hoping they go 9-1 this season. Probably not, but hoping.

They have real issues with numbers (both total students in the school and number of kids in the program.) They have BASIS just down the road and are an aging community with fewer kids in the pipeline. Gonna be tough. Wishing the Henslins luck. 9 weeks of luck. =)

Chicks dig me because I rarely wear underwear... and when I do, it's usually something unusual. But now I know why I have always lost women to guys like you. It's not just the uniform. It's the stories that you tell. So much fun and imagination.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 6:02 pm 

sportsdad...I just don't see them being competitive consistently again. They may have a 6 or 7 win season every 6 or 7 years, but I'd put money that they'll be a consistent .500/sub-.500 program. Any kid who's athletically inclined would be foolish to stay at FH when other options are available that provide more exposure. FH is experiencing what many high schools ultimately do when the surrounding population increases...kids that normally would have attended FH end up attending new schools in the area.

Population growth always waters down the talent at each school...it has happened significantly over the past couple decades here in Tucson. At one time it was Amphi, CDO and Flowing Wells on the northwest side of Tucson...nobody attended Flowing Wells, which is less than a mile from Amphi, because Amphi had the better athletic programs...and Salointe always took a couple great players away from each of those three. Now there's Amphi, CDO, Flowing Wells, Ironwood Ridge, Pusch Ridge...and Salpointe still always takes a couple great athletes away from each team. There are a couple additional high schools rumored to be going up in the area within the next few years too.