White Mountain Football

whitemountainfootball.com and smackzone123.com

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:50 pm 

State Tournament
Division II, III, IV State Tournament (24 team bracket): Based on the results of the sectional tournaments, the sectional champion will receive an automatic bid to the state tournament. The sectional champions will be guaranteed the No. 1 through No. 6 seeds (No. 7 seed in D-II), based on the overall divisional season seed, in the state tournament. All other teams, for a total of 24, will qualify to the state tournament based on overall ranking and be seeded No. 7 (No. 8 in D-II) through No. 24. Teams seeded No. 1 through No. 8 will get a first round bye. The tournament will consist of five rounds and will be single elimination.
Division II: Seven (7) automatic bids, 17 at-large qualifiers based on ranking
Division III: Six (6) automatic bids, 18 at-large qualifiers based on ranking
Division IV: Six (6) automatic bids, 18 at-large qualifiers based on ranking

Sectional Tournament
Division II, III & IV Sectional Tournament (4 team bracket): Based on section standings, the top four (4) teams in each section, with the exception of Division II Section I and Section VII (the top three (3)), will earn an automatic bid to the sectional tournament. In the initial round, the top team in each section will play the No. 4 team in the section and the No. 2 team in the section will play the No. 3 team in the section. In Division II, Section I and VII, the No. 1 team in the section will have a first round bye and the No. 2 team in the section will play the No. 3 team in the section in the initial round. The sectional tournament will consist of two rounds and be single elimination. The rankings will continue to update throughout the sectional tournaments.
Division II: Seven (7) sectional tournaments
Division III: Six (6) sectional tournaments
Division IV: Six (6) sectional tournaments

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:59 pm 

As it relates to Div.III, what's interesting is there are two wildcard spots that get a first round bye (#7 & #8). I like the new tournament bracket...
1. Win to get in 2. Be the highest ranked wildcard to get one of the two wildcards spots to get a first round bye and 3.) Don't leave your destiny in the hands of the dreaded power points. lol

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:55 am 

Attachment:
DivIIIPlayoff.jpg

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:36 pm 

Here's what I come up with after doing a little research if you wanna call it that. lol

This will be the third season/year in which the top 8 teams get a first round bye. The only problem with the past two seasons was so much emphasis was put on the power points. Not sure if i'm correct, but I think in the last two seasons the sectional tournament winner only got an automatic bid to the tournament. This is year, that same sectional tournament winner gets the automatic bid AND is seeded #1-#6 in the state tournmanent with a first round bye.

By virtue of the MaxPreps seedings, this year it's possible that a really good team from a strong section that didn't win their respective sectional tournament gets seeded in the bottom 18 and may have to play in the first round in order to keep the playoff hopes alive. This is what makes the sectional tournament important and the playoffs fun!! :) It also levels the field for weaker sections for their respective sectional champion to be seeded in the top 6. This year's bracket is much more like professional sports and more so like the NFL. I like it!
1. Win your sectional tournament to guarantee at spot in the top #1-#6.
2. Be one of the remaining 18 teams to get a wildcard spot with #7 and #8 benefiting the most with with a first round bye.
3. Hope your team gets in since the AIA is using MaxPreps seeding.

This may hit a nerve with Div.III Section I (i.e. former 3A North) fans. The one thing that sucks now is the sectional tournament is limited to the top 4 teams. So that amounts to only 3 games (semifinal & final games) or 6 games if you include the girls basketball games. Ouch! (kinda). Last year, there were 14 games (boys/girls) with some held in other gyms besides the Chinle gym which made sense when there were only three sections with 19 teams in Section 1. So an 8 team sectional tournament was appropriate. This year is much different with 6 sections as opposed to only 3.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:07 pm 

Who'se the retard poppin' his shirt in the pick? I certainly hope he was hit with a "T" for taunting and his team lost by a point because of it.

Kids these days need to act like they've been there before...unless of course, he's one of those retarded kids who had never made a basket before in his life and he was put into a meaningless game and the other team stepped back and allowed him the chance to double-dribble his goofy self up to the basket, where it took three minutes to sink a shot. Then by all means, pop that shirt!