White Mountain Football

whitemountainfootball.com and smackzone123.com

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:48 am 

Get by Cortez and you have my respect. Get blown out and I will still believe the AIA screwed this bracket up. SL and Yuma Cath. have had a very moderate to weak schedule so far.

My guess, Cortez and Valley Christian for the final

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:48 pm 

Quote:
And look where Show Low is now!! Final 4, guess they did deserve the seed they earned…

Crunchy, do you want to rethink that statement? It's halftime now. SL is down 41 - 15, and clearly does not belong at this level. I'm with Chevy. The only reason SL got there was because of one good week (two games) in the sectional tourney on your home floor.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:57 pm 

There are two good things you can take away from tonight's game:

1) You can hang a 'Final Four' banner next to last year's 'Elite Eight' and pretend like that means something

2) It's early in the 3rd Quarter and SL already has set a new state record at any level (boys or girls) for most air balls by any team in a single game

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:05 pm 

One more:

3) The only semifinal basketball game ever to put the running clock rule to use

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:16 pm 

Well at least the Championship game will have couple of the top teams. I hope those in the AIA that have the power to change the system saw the semi final games. 20 and 30 point blowouts. Two teams that clearly didn't belong there. If that wasn't proof enough of the flaws in the current system I don't know what is. But the way things were set up this year, I guess we can be glad that these two teams didn't play each other and prolong Cinderella's departure any longer. I'm looking forward to seeing that final four banner hanging from the rafters. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:54 am 

The final was a pretty good matchup. I could see either one of those teams coming away with the W if they were to play another game. Valley Christian had to bombs dropping from way beyond the arc and managed to stay ahead of that tough Cortez half court trap by keeping the ball off the floor and passing quickly to the open man. I hate seeing private valley schools win it all because I believe they have a huge advantage over the country bumpkin schools outside of the valley. However, I've gotta give props to Coach Haagsma at VC. He has shown that he knows how game plan and make adjustments and to get his players to respond. Cortez might have benefitted from throwing something different at VC since VC was obviously pretty well prepared for the half court trap and the tight man to man D's.