White Mountain Football

whitemountainfootball.com and smackzone123.com

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Whiner Alert
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:02 pm 

Look at bigger picture, not just the handful of situations you're trying to use to prove the whole. You can’t see the forest for its trees.

In 32 of 38 sections (Boy/Girls Div. II, III, IV) the #1 team is playing in the championship game, meaning 6 #1 seeds lost games to lower ranked teams (four #1 Boys teams lost and only two #1 Girls teams lost). On the whole #1 seeds took care of business.

There are a total of 6 unranked (below #24) teams out of 76 teams with the opportunity to win a high seed, IF THEY WIN. Two of them will play each other in Div. II Section 7 and will definitely send one unranked team into the Div. II Boys state tournament. Of the remaining 4 unranked teams, each will each face the #1 seed in their section.
Boys
DivIISect1: Prescott #46 plays Flagstaff #7 (#1 seed),
DivIISect7: Lake Havasu #40 plays Cibola #33 (#1 seed)
DivIVSect3: Mogollon #26 plays St. Johns #18 (#1 seed)
Girls
DivIISect7: Gila Ridge #32 plays Cibola #12 (#1 seed)
DivIIISect2: Yuma Catholic #27 plays Estrella Foothills #15 (#1 seed)

There are 6 (#20-24) additional teams out of 76 teams currently seeded #20-24 which can significantly improve their seeding by winning the sectional tournament.

Boys
DivIISect3: Sierra Linda #22 beat Sunrise Mtn #13 (#1 seed) to play Shadow Ridge #20
DivIIISect4: Show Low #20 beat Snowflake #2 (#1 seed) to play Winslow #10
DivIIISect6: Combs #22 beat Coolidge #32 to play Florence #12 (#1 seed)
Girls
DivIISect6: Canyon del Oro #20 beat Ironwood Ridge #21 to play Flowing Wells #16 (#1 seed)
DivIIISect5: Morenci #21 beat Palo Verde #19 (#1 seed) to play Thatcher #14

All 76 teams have just as much chance to win the high seed into the state tournament due to winning a majority of their sectional games, beating top teams in their section, and winning their respective tournament.

Most people's unrealistic fear was that an unranked team will get a high seed. As it stands, IF THEY ALL WIN, 5 out of 38 teams have that chance.

Post subject: Re: Whiner Alert
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:22 pm 

Attachment:
whiner.jpg

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:46 pm 

Even so, why should a team that didn't earn a top six ranking in any division get a top 6 seed to the playoffs? I understand that the chances are very low that a team will move all the way from an unranked position into a #1-6 seed in their state tournament. I'm not arguing that point. I'm telling you that rewarding any team with a #1-6 spot when they didn't really earn it in the rankings is a poor policy. The numbers you shared are limited to teams that are ranked lower than #24 and then you also point out that #20-24 ranked teams also don't have many situations where they might move in to one of the top six spots. I agree. However, what if you include all the #15 - 24 teams that have a chance to move up? Or even better, what if you include all the #10 - 24 teams. Then the numbers jump way up. I'm not going to dig through all the other divisions, because I don't care about them, but in division 3 boys alone you have these teams who stand to gain a top six seeding based solely on their performance in the finals of their sectional tournament:

Northwest Christian (#7)
Valley Christian (#8)
Benson (#9)
Winslow (#10)
Bisbee (#11)
Florence (#12)
Yuma Catholic (#17)
Show Low (#20)
Combs (#22)

Additionally, these teams had a shot but lost last night:

Mon. Valley (#23)
Page (#14)
Sedona (#27)
Pusch Ridge (#29)
Coolidge (#32)
Estrella (#24)
Alchesay (#13)
Santa Rita (#30)
Thatcher (#15)

That makes a total of 18 teams out of 24 who have the opportunity to be given a #1-6 seed for winning two games this week. Even if you don't count #7-10 since they might move into the top six on power point rankings with the two wins anyway, that is still 14 out of the 24 teams in the sectional tournaments who undeservedly have a shot a top six seeding even though they did not earn it in the regular season. In the mean time, teams that did earn it are bumped down, which in turn bumps teams even lower who did not even have a chance to play in sectionals. Two or three teams on the bottom end of things who managed to hang on to a #20-24 seeding during the season will not get the chance to play in the state tournament due to getting pushed out of the top 24.

We see it differently. I understand the point you made with your post. Hopefully you can understand mine. If you can't, just label me a whiner one more time and we'll call it all good.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:08 pm 

Enjoy the playoffs! :)