White Mountain Football

whitemountainfootball.com and smackzone123.com

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:12 pm 

You will start to see some real whining once the state brackets come out.

As it stands today - only 2 of the top 6 Maxprep seeded teams can even make it to the semi finals. IF the brackets were made today --- SCA, Cortez, and Tuba City would be 1,8,9 seeds. Chinle, Snowflake, and Valley Christian would be 2,7,10 seeds. Only 1 out of each of those three teams would make the semis. Those are your current 1-6 maxpreps teams.

I think the biggest issue with the brackets is that the 1 and 2 overall best seeds have the hardest games on MOnday in the quarterfinals because they will be playing the 7/10 winner or the 8/9 winner.

by TheBigFundamental
repost

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:38 pm 

I side with the whiners now.

This is legitimate topic and relates to the section winners being given a bye/high seed.

In most cases, the #7/10 & #8/9 are actually the highest ranked ranked teams other the #1 & # 2 seeds.

The semi-final games will be somewhat less competitive since these teams will have to meet in the quarterfinals. This will affect all 8 brackets.

Either that, the teams need to be reseeded following Round 2.

Let the whining begin lol

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:25 am 

BigFundamental you're a genius.

I apologize for calling anyone a whiner. I liked the idea of giving teams a high seed but that's no longer my issue.

After thinking about this for awhile. Reseeding won't help. The brackets have a mistake.

For the lack of a better term, the brackets are loopsided on the 1 and 2 sides of the brackets. It's like in the NFL where the wildcards 5/6 usually have a better record and are a better team than the 3/4 teams. In this situation, the 7 -10 teams are actually really good teams and will eliminate on another in round 1, round 2, and the quarterfinals (1 and 2 seed) consecutively. In the meantime, the rest of the teams generally in the middle portion of the bracket will face somewhat weaker competition and any team could easily end up in the semi-finals without having to face a stronger opponent.

This is the point I want to make as it relates to a specific situation/team - i.e. Winslow/Show Low Boys.

Whoever wins tonight's sectional tournament will likely take one of the #3 - #6 high seed MEANING either team could easily cruise all the way into the semi-finals without having to play stronger team (middle portion of the bracket). Crazy.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:05 pm 

Whiner alert

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:11 pm 

Show Low will be #5 seed up from #20 before sectional tourney started. Combs will be #6 from a #22 spot. All that for winning two games. A lot of fans are unhappy with this system. It's like welfare for low ranked basketball teams.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:02 am 

looks like show low will play the winner of blue ridge/winslow.
the Christian schools are all in the lower bracket.
cortez may be a shoe in for the final four.
snowflake just could run the rez schools.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:20 pm 

No matter what the outcome will still be the same - one of best teams in the state will win. Tough road for some; easier for others.

Hope to see Holbrook in the semi-finals!!!

Doesn't look like Snowflake will make it out of the second round. Sorry Lobo fans! Couldn't even win the sectional tournament either. lol

In other news, USA and Canada both ended up on the same side of the bracket as well. GO USA!!!
Attachment:
GoldMedalGame.jpg

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:42 pm 

Yep, SF has a tough road ahead of them. This Tournament bracket makes about as much sense as SL winning the sectional. Here is the thing though, SF isn't playing to just make the final 8 or final 4. They have done that the passed 3 years in a row. Anything short of winning it all will be a let down. So bring on the best first and lets see what happens. Cortez is definitely one of the top 3 or 4 teams in the State. SF will have to play a good game to beat them.