White Mountain Football

whitemountainfootball.com and smackzone123.com

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:40 pm 

"had he been allowed to compete"

Are you implying that he could have won that many with his BR teams or if he were coaching at another school? I'd disagree with the first, and the second is highly unlikely. Look at all the quality coaches at the higher levels and tell me how many have multiple championships (aside from the dude at Hamilton). It's a lot harder winning titles at the higher classifications, and you're not acknowledging that.

Moro is indeed a quality coach, and at the right 5A school may have 2 or 3 titles. Then again, the problem with maintaining a dynasty at the 5A level is as the population increases new schools are added that draw talent from the other schools. Amphi is a prime example of that in Tucson: the Panthers used to dominate but over the past 20 years has had students sucked away by 4 new schools in the area. Those schools are now pretty darned good and have competed in title games of their own and Amphi has suffered. The same can be said for a bunch of schools in the Phienix area that were once considered dominant programs.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:55 pm 

Chevy, I appreciate your position, but it's far from what you said on a previous thread. Here is your quote from less than a week ago...

"You are all just a bunch of cry baby’s. Your team lost, get over it." -Chevy

Spanky, Finally somebody gets it that there is a difference between big vs small school Basketball and Football....

"A private school offering excellent college prepatory classes is more than capable of hanging with the big boys in basketball because there's only 5 players on the court." -Spanky

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:42 am 

I always thought that the differences between basketball and football and how smaller schools had a better chance at competing in the former versus the latter were intuitively obvious to the most casual observer. Now I know that it had to be stated. Thanks, Spanks.

This "Coach Moro coulda won five or six championships at the 5A level" statement is more than just a stretch. But, of course, we will never know, so what's the point?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:25 am 

Sorry Doug...this site doesn't allow me to draw an illustration. I agree though, the differences in every aspect of the two sports, especially in regards to recruiting, are night and day, which is why I found it comical that I even had to explain it and/or break it down to its simplest form.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:53 am 

Doug, mine was a simple compliment to Spanky. A succinct statement of support. An a-f-f-i-r-m-a-t-i-o-n.
I thought it was intuitively obvious to the casual observer, but now I know such things must be spelled out for some to understand.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:35 pm 

Moro should coach Blue Ridge basketball as well. I believe he is the only answer to the Christian Schools.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:31 pm 

That made me laugh chevy. Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:41 am 

Chevy you are absolutely dilusional. Unfortunately, you probably haven't seen much big school football. If Moro and BR were a Division 1 school for the last 20 years, well....

You would have never heard of them. Sorry.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:01 am 

Also, bigfundamental wasn't as clear as I think he should have been in saying that all high schools in AZ are open enrollment. Actually, they are only open enrollment for incoming freshmen, not for students who already declared their school at the end of 8th grade. In thinking this would solve the problem, it has only made those trying to get athletes to their respective schools showing up at junior high games and campuses before the kid makes a decision. It was fine when these private schools enrolled for the academics and religious focus, but about 15 years ago, athletic exposure became a factor and smaller private schools in the Valley have been affected ever since.

Salpointe used to be in these arguments, but let's be honest, they havent necessarily been hanging banners left and right lately. Even their somewhat questionable decision to move down in classification this year hasn't done much to cover the walls in their gym. They are certainly an academic and religious mecca, but really don't enter into any conversation about disproportion in athletes or success with other Tucson area schools.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:01 pm 

Kids can transfer to public schools outside of their district anytime they want. It is happening all the time in the metro areas.

Lets also look at the number of transfers going to private schools from public schools and those going to public to private. You will see the AIA has already eliminated any transfers going to private schools by employing a 1 year sit rule on that. However, athletes transferring to public schools have a vast variety of hardship reasons that the AIA has so far been willing to accept and thus, most of those transfers, if not all, are accepted.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:33 pm 

Dude, you are way off. As much as rural folks want to believe city people have no idea about rural life, some of you folks out there are pretty clueless regarding the Valley. Many requests for transfer are denied each year. The only way a student from one school can transfer to another is "change of domicile" and hardship. Very, very difficult to prove hardship and with so many folks upside down on their houses right now, even more difficult to change domiciles. Fundamental, prove it. If it happens all the time, list a dozen names off the top of your head that aren't Neal, Lewis, or Cozens. We all know the rule about assuming. Peoria just had 3 kids "transfer" into their school this past year. What happened? The school the kids were at previously followed up on the issue, no proof of domicile change could be found for any of the three and they had to sit out this year of sports. Making sweeping statements doesn't make you right, it just makes people stop listening. Do some research...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:37 am 

Of all of the hardship appeals to the AIA 15% were denied according to Exec Council minutes. SO if the others were denied to play - the individual school administration chose not to apply for hardship. Quite frankly, most filled out the 530 form and the other school signed it.

Seriously, you have some examples of kids who are denied and some are accepted. However, the majority don't even go through the process becasue there is nothing to dispute --- parents move a few miles to a school that they prefer. Watch it happen again this off-season. There will be 15-25 transfers at the Div. 1 & 2 level mostly. And the AIA cannot do anything about these becasue it is perfectly legal based on the rules they have put in place.

This is not possible for the private schools or the charter schools because they don't have a 5 mile school boundry like most public schools. The boundry is all of Maricopa county.