White Mountain Football

whitemountainfootball.com and smackzone123.com

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:48 pm 

How fair is it to kids that play with their high school that is closest to them, and get their sports teams from a small area or community, To play against these (powerhouse recruit whoever we want just to play a single sport) private schools?

It is Stupid to say public schools can't recruit and then make them play against Private schools that can recruit. Either you let public schools recruit or private schools play other private schools and regular HS play other regular HS.

These private schools get kids from all over the state, country, and in some cases even the world (Westwind Prep). They come together in the state tournament and then play a team of kids from 1 area code.. it simply is not fair.

i Think there should be a state tournament section for all of the private schools to compete against each other. And a tournament where the regular High schools (that compare in size) play each other for a chance to win a state title.

This is how i believe the state championships should be run.. anyone care to give there 2 cents?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:01 pm 

I agree totaly. I believe that California has a private school league. So we wouldn't be the first to do it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:00 pm 

Some of the private schools petition up to play against the biggest competition. Ie st Mary's. Some haven't and elect to play in the size they are assigned. I would like to see what the rules are for these schools and then make an opinion on it. Anyone know what the restrictions on scholarships and recruiting are for the private schools?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:18 pm 

You'll find that "scholarships" are academic. It's a parents right to send their children to a school that excels academicly, and if in the process the school's athletic programs are benefited then so be it. Take a look at our public schools...they're a joke. I don't blame them and once I relocate to Tucson I'm enrolling my girls in a private school for those very reasons, and more.

Public schools typically have eliminated all mention of God; in a private school (most of which have religious affiliations) there is typically one class a day dedicated to scripture. Public schools tend to cater to illegals and/or minorities, and Obama's "no children left behind" policy hinders the overall progress of the other students. At a private school, if you receive academic funding you are required to maintain your grades or lose that funding, and the courses offered are far more difficult than those in public schools. Most private schools have "college prepatory" curricculum. If you wish to change the current trends then address the poor academic quality within the public school systems.

I'm all for all private schools offering athletics to have to compete at a Division I or II level, based upon their enrollment numbers. All I know is I'll be living on the upper west side of Tucson and my girls will be attending Salpointe. CDO and Ironwood Ridge may be closer, and are have excellent athletic programs, but they can't match the atmosphere or curricculum at Salpointe.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:47 am 

I agree the fact that Gilbert Christian is the size of an old 1A school and they kick trash in div. 3 is ridiculous. they mine as well just kick the public schools out rather than just let the stupid private schools win.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:13 am 

I agree that private schools are kicking the tar out of public schools, and something needs to be done.

In the short term, we need to acknowledge that there is no disgrace in a public school losing a basketball game to a private school. I know this is contrary to what some believe, but AIA and other smackboard posters need to realize that their tournament should not just be concerned with the top half of the seeds. AIA needs to always be sure that the correct 24 teams are in the tournament, because Round 1 can be the big dance for most teams, especially when private schools are in the bracket.

In the long term, we need to allow public schools to recruit. In fact, we need our American public education to model more things as private schools. They do alot well, and that is why they are generally better on the court and they are generally better in the classroom. I would rather see horrible public schools close and horrible public school teachers not teach, than to bash private schools when they've got academics and athletics right.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:05 am 

Gilbert Christian used to be called Surrey Garden and used to play in the 1A West with the likes of Orme, Salt River, Tempe Prep, and so forth. Several years ago SG won the 1A State Title with a German Students that just happened to be 6'7" and played basketball very well. Was he recruited by SG? Most likely. Does it make a difference? Not really. They still own that State Title...
It happens year in and year out.........

Post subject: SG's First State Title
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:25 am 

It was the perfect opponent for Surrey Garden to meet for the 1A state championship.

Phoenix Valley Lutheran provided motivation for the Knights as they won the school’s first state title on Monday, 74-53 at Jobing.com Arena.

It was Valley Lutheran that beat Surrey Garden in the region tournament. It was a bitter loss for the Gilbert school, which was hoping for another chance at the Flames.

“We definitely wanted to see those guys again,’’ senior forward Ivan Villegas said. “That loss really hit us hard.’’

Any advantage Valley Lutheran was hoping to get was gone in the first four minutes.

Surrey Garden (24-2) scored the first 12 points to quickly end any hopes the Flames had of slowing down the game. That’s how Valley Lutheran had beaten Surrey Garden in the region tournament. The Flames had no chance Monday.

The 6-foot-5 Villegas was virtually unstoppable, scoring 27 points. Sophomore Jeremy Hebden had 15 points with four 3-pointers, Travis Currier added 12 and 6-7 center Julian Langhoff had nine points and 11 rebounds.

The Knights used their height to their advantage, with Villegas getting easy shots over the shorter Flames. He and Langhoff also controlled the boards and limited the Flames (29-7) to virtually no second-chance points.

Back-to-back 3-pointers by Valley Lutheran’s Adam Kosberg cut the lead to 12-6, but the game was never any closer. Surrey Garden led 24-10 at the end of the first quarter.

By Steve Burks

Tribune

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:42 am 

Position: Power Forward/Center
Born: 1988
Team: Recklinghausen (Germany) 2007-08
Nationality: German
Previous Teams: Waltrop (Germany)
This team that he played on consisted of all Nationalitites and players of all ages. Some of his team mates were even from the US. How did this kid mysteriously end up at little 1A SG? Coach Currier that coached that team that season but no longer coaches there will surely take that secret to his grave. My guess is the kid got paid to play basketball for Waltrop and Recklinghausen.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:19 am 

I understand the frustration with the supposed recruiting. i will not disagree that it does not happen in PHX - both private and public. However, don't tell me it doesn't happen in other places as well.

How is it that basketball girls from Chinle just happen to end up at Many Farms? Seems to me, that these kinds of things happen every now and them here to. They even got caught and still didn't have to forfeit any games. Wow.

In Thatcher and Safford, a couple of years ago - 1 Barney boy goes to Safford, and little brother ends up at Thatcher. Other kids have crossed the tracks a few times there as well.

Charter schools (which are an extension of public schools)in the valley - not the private schools are getting away with kids moving schools. Big kid from North Pointe is a good example.

Just info on that it is happening more than people want to admit.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:05 pm 

regular school.... :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:52 pm 

Big Fundamental,

In your example you are talking about kids going 10 miles to another school. With the Christian Schools, the kids are crossing oceans just to play ball. Last year’s Orme team, communicated with hand signals because not one of them spoke the same language. Quite a bit different if you ask me.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:51 am 

I don't see the problem here. At least not to the extreme that seems to be represented on this thread. I welcome the competition that the private schools bring. It helps build competitiveness to a higher level. Yeah, my school lost to Gilbert Christian, and it was a disappointment. I'm a HUGE Lobo fan and I don't like it when my school loses, but I won't make excuses for it.

Rather, I say hats off to the Lobos for making the run they did. If they took State with a bunch of easy tournament wins, what is actually gained? Next year, the bar is raised, but that doesn't mean our guys will shrink from the challenge. It's not like our football team tries to re-schedule just because Blue Ridge has had so much success.

I say bring it on!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:05 am 

I am glad to hear that Lobo fan. In the case of Orme - they are a boarding school - way different than all the rest of the schools you are talking about. Most of these schools have players for 4 years and not just for one like Orme did. Should Orme be treated differently because of their nature - maybe. But that is for the AIA to decide. The AIA has put certain restrictions on transfers and on certain international student no being allowed to play varsity sports.

Plus, if transfers are illegal - then it is wrong overseas or across the street. It shouldn't matter.

IMO, Division 3 will always be very competitive and we are going to see some unbelievable state tournaments in many different sports because of the quality of teams in this division.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:27 am 

Nice post Lobo! My sentiments exactly!