White Mountain Football

whitemountainfootball.com and smackzone123.com

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:46 am 

http://www.azcentral.com/insiders/richa ... rterbacks/
Quote:
No. 1 Kyle Allen, Scottsdale Desert Mountain, 6-3, 200, Sr.
No. 2 Luke Rubenzer, Scottsdale Saguaro, 6-0, 190, Sr.
No. 3 Zach Werlinger, Chandler Basha, 6-2, 180, Sr.
No. 4 Brian Lewerke, Phoenix Pinnacle, 6-3, 180, Jr.
No. 5 Josh Eckley, Tempe Marcos de Niza, 6-2, 185, Sr.
No. 6 Brian Woodward, Phoenix Brophy Prep, 6-3, 190, Sr.
No. 7 Emanuel Gant, Tempe, 6-3, 225, Jr.
No. 8 Sean Paul Brophy, Scottsdale Chaparral, 6-2, 195, Jr.
No. 9 Devon Palomino, Glendale Deer Valley, 6-4, 220, Sr.
No.10 Michael Humphrey, Phoenix Sunnyslope, 6-7, 205, Sr.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:09 am 

Jagan Cleary, Yuma Catholic, passed for 2244 yards with 29 TD and only 7 INT as a sophomore last season.

I also expect a big season from Andrew Cota, Salpointe Catholic, 13 TD/4 INT/.65% pass completions last season. (I believe Cameron Denson will be playing RB this season.)

Colby Maxwell, Show Low, will be the best QB in the White Mountains.

It's a different catagory, but I'm most interested to see if Matt Guida, RB, Queen Creek, can duplicate his numbers from last season (2829 yards/31 TD). He's clearly the state's best returning running back.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:12 pm 

Kyle Allen (Desert Mountain) is one of the best QB's the state has produced. Folks in College Station (and at least one alum I know that is living in Italy) are eagerly anticipating his arrival. I hope he has a great season in preparation.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:55 am 

Last I checked though, A&M has a guy who'll be their QB for quite some time. There are currently 3 freshman QB's on the Aggies roster, with Matt Davis being the prize recruit.

I wonder if Allen has considered reconsidering his choice based on Manziel winning the Heisman? A&M is loaded at the QB position (3 freshman and 2 sophomores, one of whom is the Heisman Trophy winner) and appear to be set for quite some time.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:37 pm 

For your re-consideration:

A&M's roster shows 5 QBs, 4 of whom are listed as FR - that is FR last season. Two of them red-shirted, leaving two FR QB on the current roster. Conner McQueen (FR) is probably considered third deep behind Matt Davis (FR), which in my opinion leaves them as the current top considerations to succeed Johnny Football (Manziel) - if you don't consider Kyle Allen a candidate.

Then, I'd say it's highly likely that Manziel will enter (or at least seriously consider entering) the NFL draft following the 2013 season, and I'm not the only one saying that. I'm not sure that the issue of his tweet stating that he considered himself eager to leave College Station has completely dissolved.

I recently read an article regarding whether a true freshman could be considered as a starter at Texas A&M. The question was asked at a football camp and Kyle Allen's name was plastered all over the discussion, presented as a definite consideration. The coaches are high on him and his development prior to entering this, his senior year.

So, I wouldn't consider Kyle's re-considering his school choice a significant consideration at this point...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:09 pm 

In my opinion, there's no way Manziel will enter the NFL after next season. He's nowhere near NFL ready, and I'm fairly certain NFL front offices learned their lesson after being Tebow-ed. I've been wrong before, but he needs a lot more seasoning at the position before he takes the next step. I'd say it'd be more realistic he leaves after his Jr year...IF he wasn't a one-shot wonder, which we see every college football season.

I was looking at the ESPN team page, and they had the roster listed for this season, but even so...quite a log-jam of talent at the QB position. Matt Davis is the real deal and A&M folks seem to love that homegrown talent. In fact, I'd venture to say that had Manziel not won the Heisman last season it'd be a coin-toss between Manziel and Davis (he's THAT good). However, as we see every season in college football, those teams with stocked talent at certain positions often see 2 or 3 of those kids transfer to somewhere they can get playing time and not waste their eligibility. (Look at how many USC QB's have transferred elsewhere over the years and had a great deal of success at their new schools: Jesse Scroggins is the latest to do so after the Trojans signed the nations top prep QB, Max Browne.) The window kids have to make an impression on pro scouts is small, and if they have to sit more than 2 seasons you typically see them transfer...so it may be a good fit for Allen after all. OR he could show up at A&M and end up only third on the depth chart and miss his opportunity. Tough choice.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:45 am 

As for Manziel coming out early, all you have to do is look at this year's list of college QB who are seniors and juniors to realize it'd be a terrible decision for him coming out early because he's nowhere in the Top 10, which would translate to a late round pick. He needs to stay and polish his game because the following year looks to be much weaker at the QB position for the draft.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:16 pm 

Yeah, it's funny how they give the Heisman out to sub-top-ten talent.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:35 pm 

Comeon Doug...you're way more knowledgable than that. Need I really list how many Heisman winners have flopped at the professional level? Being a great college QB rarely means anything at the next level; in fact, the NFL's top QB's are typically late rounders, with many of them being relatively unknown. The Heisman doesn't go to the nation's top player anyway, and it hasn't for years. That award is the biggest joke in college football (as evident by schools campaigning for their player to win it) and it goes to either the QB or RB (although it has been mostly a QB award lately) on one of the nation's most high profile teams, which is precisely why those late round QB's excel in the NFL...a team loaded with talent masks a player's true caliber.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:44 pm 

Aaron Murray, AJ Mccarron, Braxton Miller, Teddy Bridgewater, Casey Pachall, Connor Shaw, David Ash even Tahj Boyd, Jordan Lynch and Derek Carr are more NFL-ready than Manziel at this point. Manziel needs another year's seasoning at the collegiate level or else he'll be another Heisman flop at the next level. It's going to be a QB heavy draft this year and he'll benefit staying at least through his junior year.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:40 am 

I saw a nice story about Manziel where he was sent home early from this year's Manning Passing Academy, where he was a college coach/counselor, due to excessive partying. Manziel was routinely late for practices and meetings and complained of illness, which he blamed on dehydration (ummmm, yeah...that happens when you're partying)...yep, he's definitely mature enough for the NFL and I'm sure those NFL execs are chomping at the bits to get ahold of a player who shows that amount of dedication towards his obligations.

By the way, Colin Klein deserved the Heisman over Manziel. Klein was by far the most valuable player last season and was a dominant force in almost leading K-State to the national title game. Had K-State not lost to Baylor he'd of won the trophy. South Carolina's Clowney was also more deserving than Manziel, and I think if he repeats last year's season he'll be the first defensive player to win the award. (Correct me if I'm wrong, but Manziel didn't even start the season as the A&M starter and didn't start until game 3 or 4? If that's the case, that alone makes a mockery of the Heisman.)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:29 pm 

Thanks for the schooling, Spanks.

I don't think you'll find anywhere in my comments where I tried to tie the Heisman to a recipient's success in the NFL. I could also provide a list of winners of the Heisman that flopped in the NFL, but I believe that to be pointless. My statement, if I really cared enough to make one, would have been that the trophy is or ought to be presented for the player's performance upon which the award is based, meaning the college season for which the award's achievement is intended. To whom the trophy goes is always subjective; I would never intend to state that one person deserved it more than another, though I think every attempt should be made to ensure that the award is given to at least one of the top performers, certainly one of the top ten.

Something like that.

Our Johnny Football's off-season antic could be his undoing...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:53 pm 

He is extremely fortunate he didn't have to serve the 180 days jail time he was facing.

Unfortunately for the rest of society, another "Aaron Hernandez-like" monster is being created by the way the law is handling the young man based upon "who" he is and it's possible that continued preferential treatment renders him thinking he's above the law, until of course, an incident occurs that harms someone else. (I'll say DUI in his case, since he definitely likes to drink AND is already getting into trouble regarding his drinking, even though he hasn't reached the legal drinking age yet.)

My personal opinion is they should have made the kid serve his 180 days and he would have emerged a better person, possessing a healthy respect for the consequences for his actions and probably more appreciative of the opportunity he has been provided. (Hopefully A&M has him serve a suspension.)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:35 am 

With all the trouble Manziel is getting into now, Texas A&M may be a good choice for Allen. However, it looks as though Manziel's antics (getting paid for his autographs and paid for his attendance at functions) may very well end up placing the Aggie program on probation, so there's another thing to consider.