White Mountain Football

whitemountainfootball.com and smackzone123.com

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:11 am 

The stands were empty. How much money did the AIA lose since there were no reservation teams in the finals?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:45 am 

How would you recommend the AIA remedy that situation? Give an automatic final four bid to a rez team? I guess it couldn't * up the brackets much worse than the system already did. The only two rez teams that were any good this season were Chinle and Tuba City. They both lost out to the eventual finalists in the third round. By that round you should expect to start running in to some better competition.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:05 am 

Te AIA could build their own arena. The money could come from wealthy Arizonans who played their high school careers in the state. They could hold volleyball, wrestling and basketball in the facility. It could be rented out for other activites. Outside, there could be a swimming pool, football field, track, baseball and softball fields and even a cross country venue.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:06 pm 

So the reason for the poor attendance by the natives (at least to the Div. III final) was because it was held at Jobing.com Arena and not at a venue owned and operated by the AIA. I guess I just figured your first post meant that attendance from the rez was down because there were no rez teams in the final four. I didn't know the natives had something against the location of the finals.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:29 am 

If the AIA owned their own sites, I think the organization could be more flexible. They could generate additional revenue with non-high school events. Come on, think outside of the box. Try something new. Xavier, ASU, etc., all receive donations large enough to construct buildings.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:20 am 

In most cases, the donation is not large enough to build and operate the building. It's just big enough to help get the project started and get the benefactor's (person who donated the money) name on said building. The majority of the money comes from taxes. The AIA collects membership fees from member schools. That money mostly goes to salaries and expenses for full time employees, part time employees, and officials for all sponsored sports. I'm not against thinking outside the box when it needs to be done. In this case it does not need to be done. Jobing.com is a great venue for semifinals and finals. US Airways Center would be nicer and funner to play on the Suns court. Building and maintaining/operating their own venue is way beyond the financial ability (and probably management ability) of the AIA.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:13 pm 

Is this a real conversation? Is alcohol involved?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:03 pm 

I'm stone cold sober. Not so sure about my counterpart, though. Been trying to let him/her down gently, but apparently some people think you can just pull large sporting venues out of thin air just because.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:21 pm 

Also, I'm bored out of my head. How long till football cranks up again? Ugh!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:29 am 

I'll ask the question again: how much did the AIA lose on the state tournament this year? Be proactive; is there a solution? Why not give something new a try. Look at how well Obamacare is going over.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:29 pm 

To answer the question as honestly and plainly as I can, I'm sure they lost thousands of dollars on attendance for the Div. III final boys and girls games since there were no rez teams playing. However, I don't understand how an AIA owned and operated venue would have changed that. My reasoning says that if the AIA owned and operated their own basketball arena, they would be worse off financially after losing out on rez dollars than they are after renting Jobing.com for the weekend.

And since I'm speaking honestly and plainly, there is no room for Obamacare on my side of this 'conversation'.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:36 pm 

Personally, I don't think that we should worry about who makes it to the finals. WE should hope the best teams make it there - not the ones who bring the most fans or the most money. IF that is what its about - then the AIA should tell us who they want there and not play the games.