White Mountain Football

whitemountainfootball.com and smackzone123.com

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:56 pm 

What's the whole story? I heard that Sean Potter is done for the season, because his mom complained to the AIA about him being suspended a game for playing in a city league. Turned out the AIA didn't know about it yet, and once they found out, canned Potter for good.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:59 am 

Not sure about the whole mom angle, but the AIA bylaw for this situation says:

Quote:
14.4.1 A student who is a member of a school team shall not practice or compete with any other group, club,
organization, association, etc., in that sport during the interscholastic season of competition. This rule
applies to the following team sports: football, baseball, basketball, volleyball, soccer, softball, track relay
and swimming relay teams. For purposes of this rule, the interscholastic season of competition shall
begin with the first regularly scheduled game and conclude with that particular team's final game. Any
student violating the above rule shall forfeit his/her eligibility for a minimum of the balance of the season
for that sport or up to a maximum of one calendar year

Obert reported that SL Admin. self reported the violation after a picture was sent to the SL AD of the player in question playing in a recent City League game. SL didn't have much choice in the matter. Allowing him to play in another HS game could have gotten the entire team disqualified from the tournament.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:56 am 

Cu dose to his Mom for realizing that the kid needed a tough lesson and for calling the AIA and turning him in. We need more parents like that in the world. In the end it wouldn't have mattered much anyway as SL lost by 20 plus to a very average team.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:30 pm 

So the player's mother did have something to do with his getting disqualified?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:48 pm 

Let me preface the following post by saying I don't know if this is true or not as it is 2nd hand information--I generally don't like to spread misinformation so take it as you will. I do have some history however with the Show Low school district and an ineligible player in the past that lead me to believe that there might be some credibility to the story. So-----I heard the story just like it was presented above. A local AD saw the kid playing in a league basketball game. Told the kid he couldn't and the kid ignored the AD. AD took a picture and sent it to Show Low with the corresponding rule. Show Low suspends the kid for a game. Mom doesn't think that is right and calls the AIA mad about Show Low suspending the kid for a game. The AIA says what, we have no idea what you are talking about but we will find out. Apparently Show Low failed to self report the violation and was going to handle it in house. The AIA starts checking and now the kids is suspended for the season.

As I said, I have a history with regards to Show Low and a player who clearly was breaking the rules--So I tend to lend some more credence to the story. Take it as you wish.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:20 am 

That's a great story. I know the first part about how it was brought to the attention of the SL AD is true. Hadn't heard the part about SL trying to sweep it under the rug or Mom inadvertently ending her son's bball career prematurely by appealing to the AIA. That's good stuff.