White Mountain Football

whitemountainfootball.com and smackzone123.com

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:03 am 

How many 1 star and 2 star athletes are at the 2A/3A level? You mean there are that few? Those levels must be terrible then if that's how you're basing your opinion! I'm being facetious because you apparently don't understand the star-rating suystem. Do you realize that the majority of college football players are either 1 and 2 star athletes or NR (no rating)? Do you also realize that in the entire nation only 18 5-star athletes have signed? Alabama only has 2...Texas has 3; that's a third of them. (I believe there are fewer than 10 5-star athletes unsigned last time I checked.)

My point is there typically aren't very many 5-star athletes each year, so your assessment isn't very accurate when utilizing that criteria.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:26 am 

Spanky...Do you believe in the star system?

I will say all high school football in Arizona has improved over the last 10 years, all classifications would you agree on that.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:58 am 

There's only a total of 26 5-star athletes nationwide, so Arizona having one of them is pretty cool.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:04 am 

In fact, in recent years Arizona has had the #1 rated player at their position: O'Dowd, Kennard and Griffin.

(Not too shabby if you ask me.)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:55 pm 

And who decides to do that against a winless basketabll team that is a brand new schoo...

Wait, am I in the wrong thread?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:57 pm 

Such a tired debate...best part of the threads though, has to go to '82 rules.

"I love watching 3a football it's fun seeing normal sized kids play for the love of the game."

Had people staring at me laughing at my computer screen...good stuff. Normal sized kids... :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:49 am 

b[color=#FF40FF][color=#0000FF][/color][/color]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:55 am 

Most of thread does not pertain to kids in 3A or any school for that matter. Most of the conversation seems to be like the current situation with our where the politicians in their glory world seem to be oblivious to what is reality and not. The reaction form all the posters on this thread must be Republican. Spanky, quit being such a Boehner!!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:00 pm 

...but I thought that's why you liked me so much.

(You have to dig deep into our last statement to understand mine, and since I realize you're a bit slower I just gave you a hint.)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:33 pm 

I have got to chime in on this. Spanky makes some valuable arguments. There is no doubt that the talent pool to choose from at the bigger schools is much bigger and produces in the end, greater athletes. But having greater athletes does not in any way make the better team in the end. BR produces great teams year in and year out with some great talent and so not so great talent. The kids know what is expected of them and seam to rise to the occasion no matter what the talent pool is. I know Spanky will disagree with this and it kills me to say it, but I know of at least 3 maybe 4 for BR teams that would have competed for any 5A grown in the last 20 years. Both BR and SL two years ago would have made a lot of noise in any division. All I guess I’m saying is that a great program will trump great athletes a good share of the time. Now, there are a few 4 abd 5A programs that have both and then you have a whole different thing. But it’s not across the board as Bill would have you believe.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:59 pm 

BR playing for the 5A crown would be the equivalent of a MAC team playing against an SEC team for the title. Sure they might stand a chance....but then they kickoff.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:15 pm 

Why argue over common sense. Of course bigger schools are better, period!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:47 pm 

DARN no brawls in the call for the fall? COME ON, dont peter out.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:35 pm 

Bill,

Your statement on coaches is the most general of statements. Coaches like players come in all different types, some just get it without having to work super hard, some work extremely hard and still suck at it, and some work hard and become good at it. Point being, just like natural athletic ability, people can have abilities that lend themselves to being a great coach. Maybe it's a great mind, maybe a great motivator, maybe he/she just relates to kids real well. And contrary to what you think, all great coaches don't aspire to move to the big city and coach the big schools, or move up the coaching ladder. Some are very content in "podunkville" for a miriad of reasons.

The problem with this entire topic is speaking in huge generalities. Essentially labeling everyone under the same brush. Good players and good coaches exist in all size schools. Are there more good coaches and good players in a bigger school. Sure, but I think we do a disservice to label an entire level of any sport as having no kids or coaches with ability.

As for Spanky, he is entitled to his opinion, some I agree with, and some I do not. Lets just say we should be careful about throwing stones from our glass house. We all have issues and problems, including Spanky, we don't need to be knocking other people down as if we sit high up on the hill.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:20 pm 

Good post. I agree with your statement regarding coaches. In fact, I'll go one step further and say that some coaches adapt well to the changes in their respective sport, while others are so set in their ways that the sport passes them by. Sadly, I'd hate to say it but my former high school coach is in my last example; the game passed him by years ago and the productivity of his teams shows it.

As for your other comments, I agree that there are great athletes and/or coaches at all levels. The problem is "identifying" their greatness at the lower levels, especially in regards to the athlete. Are they truly a "great" athlete who would be excelling regardless of the level in which they play or are they simply excelling because they're a "good" athlete for the level in which they're playing, who happens to playing against others who aren't so good? That's probably the hardest thing to determine when evaluating talent, and it's obviously easier to determine at the higher levels based on the quantity of quality players on opposing teams. It's a Catch-22 for those "great" athletes in the lower divisions; they may tear up their opponents, yet never receive the recognition they rightfully deserve from college scouts due to the level of competetion.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next