White Mountain Football

whitemountainfootball.com and smackzone123.com

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:45 pm 

The AIA has approved a pilot season of Girls Sand Volleyball for the Spring of 2012.
The season will be limited to 32 schools this first year and will hold an eight team State Championship Tournament in April 2012.

They have ruled that Sand Volleyball is a different sport than indoor volleyball and participation in the club indoor season will not negatively impact the eligibility of the student athlete for Sand Volleyball.

The season begins in early February with three weeks of practice and one scrimmage, followed by a six week regular season, then the tournament the second week of April.

All matches during the pilot season are to be played in Glendale.

The 32 participating schools are voluntary and have yet to be identified.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:06 pm 

By the way, Arizona is the first state in the country to introduce sand volleyball in high school as a varsity sport.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:35 am 

Is this going to be 2"$- 4"$ or what?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:31 am 

They'd best open it up for boys also or they'll face the same lawsuits as when indoor volleyball was introduced. I doubt the AIA officials are smart enough to take that into consideration though.

Personally, I don't see it lasting and don't think it has a place in high school anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:10 am 

The format is 5 two person teams with 2 alternates making a 12 girl roster. Best two of three sets per match, the first two to 21 and a third to 15 if needed.
Actually, Spanky they did think about it and the way I understand it, they felt that this could help the schools meet the Title 9 requirements.
Pehaps they will expand it to boys also, but for now its just girls.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:13 am 

If it has a place in high school is debatable but with the introduction into the NCAA as a varsity sport it follows that high schools would begin to have it because the college programs will develop a need for recruits.
Time will tell if it will last or not.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:22 pm 

Title IX or not, all it'll take is one male athlete to be turned down and it'll set up the lawsuit; that's what happened in indoor volleyball, as I recall reading the the newspaper articles.