White Mountain Football

whitemountainfootball.com and smackzone123.com

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: PLAYER OF THE YEAR
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:42 pm 

Jessica Johnson of Blue Ridge was named the AIA Volleyball Player of the Year.

Jessica is a 4 year Varsity Player and the starting Setter the past three years. She was named to the All State team as a Sophmore, Junior and as the 1st Team Setter as a Senior.

Jessica led her team to the State Tournament the last three years and to the semi finals this year.

Along with Jessica, Blue Ridge's Darbi Elkins (Libero) was named to the 1st Team. Maddie Cooley (Middle) was named as Honorable Mention.

All three girls were also named to the Sectional/Regional team along with Shawna Newman (OH).

Congratulations!!!!

Post subject: Re: PLAYER OF THE YEAR
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:22 am 

Congrats on a job well done!

(See, non-private school girls CAN succeed with hard work.)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:24 pm 

Jamie Roe got Robbed!! Watched both players, Jamie was way better and more of an impact player. Johnson, nothing spectacular nor a threat, just made her team better.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:26 pm 

Jamie Roe is an exceptional player no question, as is Haley Lawless, Lauren Betlach and several other athletes this year. However, the ones that make these selections felt differently than you Rascall and certainly they had the pleasure of watching all of these players on several occaisions before making the selection.

Congratulations Jessica, well done!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:47 pm 

Wow... "Jamie Roe got Robbed!!" That is actualy kind of funny. :lol: All of us "armchair athlete retirees" need to get a life... haha

I watched all of those state teams too... Anyone of the girls on the 1st Team could have been awarded "Player of the Year"...

Maybe some of the coaches saw other qualities, or sportsman-like conduct that impressed them. Who know's?? What is inappropriate is that we have adults contributing their comments with behavior un-becoming, and yet, we expect the child-athletes, to be held at a higher standard than the adults who coach and raise them.

Good for Jamie, and her volleyball efforts!!

All of the Tuba/BlueRidge/Seton, and the other 40 plus teams in Div 3 might go on winning and losing with sub-par standards if we don't step it up as sideline supporters and be their best fans!!

"Congrats to Jessica", is what you, should have said.
Then, if you wanted to put a plug in for Jamie, or any of the other, "well qualified" girls, you should have.
The smack on this board doesn't always have to rip out their hearts... Tell me this... Did Jamie or any of the other girls make it to every practice and game since her freshman year?? NEVER being late, or missing anything even with an excused absense?? Was she captain for the last two years? Did she help with service projects and help plant a tree for a student who passed away this year? Did she give devotionals and gifts to younger athletes and help with special olympics?? Did she spend time in service for the elderly, and take her own clothes to younger girls in her neighborhood, who needed them?? Other girls might be more of a big "standout" on the court... but, Player of the Year, is not for one day... it is for the year. In Jessica's case, she could well deserve a "Player for Life" award. :D

I am proud to watch girls who emulate what we try so hard to teach them. To have integrity, and honor. We saw some of that this year when a girl admitted to a "touch", which was part of a determining factor for the outcome of the game. People in the stands cheered her on, while a coach, yelled at her for giving up information, because it was not in their favor to help them win by doing so.

Say it loud if you want, when the AIA doesn't divide and come up with better ways of running our sports programs, they can handle it, they are adults. But, do NOT take the hard work and efforts from the girls. Or, girl in this case. I hope Jamie and the rest of the girls who graduate this year, go on to play sports, or coach the game. Not, because of the competition, rather, that they have learned what it means to make a difference in someone else's life. It was a good year!! Congrats to JESSICA JOHNSON and the four other girls who we awarded PLAYER OF THE YEAR!!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:54 pm 

Oh, and to make a correction.. Maddie Cooley was named to 2nd team, not honorable mention... :P proud of all the girls and their efforts.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:20 pm 

I play vball here n there, and I would definitely choose Jamie Roe to be on my team!! I do say robbed again! She was a 4 year Varsity starter, captain most of her years. And if aia is going to base it on community service, they might as well count out all the north reservation players, though they are well deserving. Just because they made it into the final four doesnt mean she deserved the award. I rank her 9th or 10th in the division. So is she going D1??
AIA is one flawed system! A majority dont agree with them, and with them being adults and decision making, they are hideous!! Im glad AZ Central merged from them! It seems there decisive planning is getting worst every year. I feel bad for the well deserving girls that played there hearts out and are going to UCLA, PEPPERDINE, UOFA, and other D1 schools as Jamie is for being a multi sport athlete, and again I do not agree with the selection. Although I congratulate her and wish her well.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:50 pm 

Calm down Jamie!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:27 am 

rascall is not Jamie... haha spanky... :D
Jamie has more class.

If the AIA would accept court ordered community service then your north region would do great!!

Multisport!!!
Jessica took 2nd in Polevault last year, and is on her way to doing well again this year.
She has gone to state for track and field, three years going on four. Polevault, high jump, and the relays.
She placed 2nd last year at the STATE Decathlon meet, and held state records in the Javelin and high jump.
Placed 4th in the decathlon at the Great Southwest Classic, over in New Mexico. She represented the state of AZ.
There were top rated high school athletes from over 11 different states invited to this meet.
Decathlon : 100m hurdles, long jump, discus, high jump, 400m, 100m dash, shot put, polevault, javelin, 1500m...
think she has Jamie beat on the multi sport ratio.... :shock: Jess also played softball if we are counting clear back to junior high... :lol:

Polevault is rated as the hardest, most technical event in any sport... and Jessica has a very good chance at taking state this year.

There are many D1, D2, and D3 schools looking at her for both volleyball and track.
Placing her 9th or 10th is all good, but obviously you are only looking at the beasties on the court.
Jamie Roe can't do what Jess does. She can't run an offense, and without the quarterback calling the plays
no one gets to state. Not even the D1 girls. If Jessica was the tall girl on the court and had the finesse that she
portrays at her 5'7 height, you wouldn't pay attention to anyone else. But, volleyball has evolved into "taller and bigger"
so she works harder than the rest, and gets what they will let her have. After taking the position you did in the previous posts, don't pretend to wish Jessica well, crawl back under your rock.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:45 am 

Congrats to Jessica! She's an awesome player and person!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:00 pm 

Shhheeeee! Jamie competes in all 3 bball, vball, and track. No doubt she will play at the next level for bball, n vball. Good luck to Jessica in Pole Vaulting!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:47 pm 

No worries rascall, it is a smack board. I know you were just hoping for a different outcome. Jamie will do well no matter what road she travels, either bball, vball or track. Jess said she just wanted to focus on weights during the winter season, so she trains for the decathlon and play club volleyball during bball season. Playing all three sports is a big challenge, that is what I did, so many years ago. Paid off, went D1 with a scholarship, but that was then... I totally understand what you are saying, just think that there are many aspects to look at when awards are given. Some of the "really great" athletes get overlooked... sad to say, that has happened to some up here on the mountain, just because they don't have the club access.
Thanks for the congrats, I will pass it along to Jessica when I see her at her school.
;)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:26 pm 

Thnx... Being a Decathlete is very demanding, physically and mentally. Glad her hard work paid off..;)

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 2:40 pm 

Rascall, FYI Jessica will play D1 Volleyball for Southern Utah University after declining several offers from other D2, D3, NAIA and JUCO schools. Perhaps you should stop looking through your REZ colored glasses and see things as they are. :roll: